6.08.2015

Cold-Brewed Coffee...Because Toddlers

Use the leftover coffee to make ice cubes so your drink won't get watered down.  The only ice cube trays I have in the house are fish shaped. I feel like my 21-year-old self would think my 31-year-old self is really lame. 

I was reading my Real Simple magazine the other day and found out why the iced coffee I've been making tastes like actual crap. 

Apparently the trick is to cold brew it. Simply chilling hot coffee will give you a bitter, acidic taste. But cold brewing gives you a milder, smoother iced coffee. Here's how:

Mix about two cups of ground coffee with four cups of room temperature water. Real Simple suggests course to medium ground coffee, but I just used the regular ground Folgers from the grocery. 

Let the mix sit in a glass container over night. Here's what mine looked like in the morning:

After about 12 hours pour the mix through a mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter. The mix should produce about three cups of cold-brewed coffee.

Since the coffee is pretty concentrated, I suggest adding cream or milk. I have about two parts coffee to one part cream in the picture below. I also made ice cubes with some of the left over brew. The chance of me finishing a drink in one sitting has greatly decreased since having kids. 


The coffee should stay fresh in the fridge for up to two weeks. And don't throw away those grounds! I'll have a blog post later this week about uses for them. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Pick yourself up a French Press. They're not expensive (I paid $15 for mine) and you use it for the glass jar. The screen plunger gets the coffee grounds out of the drinkin' coffee and you don't have a paper filter to soak up everything that makes coffee taste good. When you rinse out the French Press, pour the rinse and the grounds into whatever plants you want to keep healthy and slightly nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work. Best Burr Coffee Grinders under $200

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. which kratom is cheaper capsules or powder

    ReplyDelete